According to the National Institute of Health; “a food intolerance refers to having difficulty in digesting certain foods and having an unpleasant physical reaction to them.” Stomach pain and bloating are common signs of food intolerance. The people who have food intolerance ask how long the symptoms of food intolerance will last. This time is different for different individuals and foods. A food intolerance test can determine if it is food that is causing symptoms or your stomach has problems. This article discusses how long food intolerance symptoms can last for a person.
d intolerance refers to having difficulty in digesting certain foods and having an unpleasant physical reaction to them.” Stomach pain and bloating are common signs of food intolerance. The people who have food intolerance ask how long the symptoms of food intolerance will last. This time is different for different individuals and foods. A food intolerance test can determine if it is food that is causing symptoms or your stomach has problems. This article discusses how long food intolerance symptoms can last for a person.
If you want to know more about the symptoms of food intolerance, this topic is for you.
Defining Food Intolerance
The term “food intolerance” is used to represent the inability of the digestive system to properly process some particular foods. This inability of the stomach to digest some foods comes to our knowledge when we start having side effects of these problems. Food allergy and food intolerance are two different conditions; food intolerance is digestive system response and food allergy is an immune system response to food intake. If you have any of the following symptoms after eating food, you should consult a doctor and take proper tests to know what is wrong.
What Causes Food Intolerance?
There can be many reasons for this issue and some common causes are:
- Absence of an enzyme
- Food poisoning – toxins
- Chemical causes of food intolerance
- Salicylates are present in many foods
- Natural occurrence of histamine in some foods
Symptoms of Food Intolerance
There are many signs and symptoms of food intolerance. Some of them are common and experienced by most people. Whereas, some signs are rare and may occur by consuming particular foods. Notable signs of food intolerance and food allergy are:
Symptoms of Food Allergy
- Itchy skin
- Chest pain
- Rash or hives
- Shortness of breath
- Cramping stomach pain
- Swelling of the airways to the lungs
Symptoms of Food Intolerance
- Stomach pain
- Gas, cramps or bloating
- Irritability or nervousness
Some signs are common in food allergy and food intolerance. That is why doctors suggest taking a food intolerance test to make sure the actual problem.
How Long Do Food Intolerance Symptoms Last?
For different people and foods, the time for experience symptoms of food intolerance can be different. “If it’s not an allergy, it could be either a “sensitivity” or an “intolerance,” which seem similar but are two different things,” writes self.com. Proper diagnosis can help you know the actual causes.
Tips to Avoid Food Allergy/Intolerance
If you have problems digesting food, study food allergy, and food intolerance. Food allergy can either be a food intolerance or food sensitivity. Start tracking everything you eat if you think you have either a sensitivity or intolerance.
Try to eliminate suspicious foods from your diet one by one to know what food is causing problems. Coffee and alcohol often cause digestive problems; you can start by reducing their intake. After eliminating foods one-by-one, evaluate the results.
It is important to study the effects of the foods that you eat most of the times. If you are not able to handle it well, it is always good to take professional help; consult a dietitian.
Food Intolerance: The End Result
You have read what food intolerance is and what signs it can have. The life of its symptoms has also been discussed above. In the end, we can conclude that people should take a food intolerance test to know what food is not good for their health.
This simple test can save you from a bigger health crisis. You may have more questions about this topic. Please do not hesitate to contact a professional nearby your house if you need more information. So make a list of questions and visit a provider in your area.
References and Further Study
- The 8 Most Common Food Intolerances. Healthline: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/common-food-intolerances
- What is a food intolerance? Medical News Today: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/263965.php
- Food intolerance. National Health Services: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/food-intolerance/
- How Long Do Food Intolerance Symptoms Last?Immofood: https://immufood.com/blog/how-long-do-food-intolerance-symptoms-last/
- Food allergy. Mayo Clinic: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/food-allergy/symptoms-causes/syc-20355095
- Think You Might Have A Food Intolerance?Here’s How To Figure It Out.Self.com: https://www.self.com/story/think-you-might-have-a-food-intolerance-heres-how-to-figure-it-out
- Food Problems: Is it an Allergy or Intolerance.Cleveland Clinic: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/10009-food-problems-is-it-an-allergy-or-intolerance